Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall

This leaf was dancing out in the back thanks to the help of a spiderweb.









This morning was the last bit of summer. I do love Fall. The leaves changing, bonfires, apples, pumpkins, pots of soup. Watching soccer games while bundled up on the sidelines. Cleaning the yard, putting wood up for the winter. Halloween. Fall is finishing time, your last chance to get things done before winter sets in.

Fall is crisp and beautiful.

7 comments:

Carla said...

That's amazing. Great capture!
Fall doesn't usually arrive in central Texas until mid/late October. We had a horribly hot summer, but our first cold front came last week. Temps hovering in the 85/60 degree swing for several days.
A huge sigh of joy could be heard across the land. Windows opened at night for the first time since early April. Aaaahhhhh.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Reminds me of the "Fall Leaf Ballet" hehe

Cool video...I bet you looked like you were dancing with camera in hand :)

So didn't the chickens try to attack that poor Fall leaf?

We're having an Indian Summer rigt now. Temps in the 80's during the day and 50-60's at night.

Are you growing any fun Fall crops right now?

Happy Fall Michelle!

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...I'm coming around to fall myself. I've missed alot of good posts here! Yay for you for posting about your experiences with butchering and then sharing how you use those lives lost to the absolute fullest. I often find myself arging with people who think pasture raised birds are too costly for the average american. I think the prices are fine, when you use that bird for multiple meals and then use the bones and "waste" for stocks/broths and soups. Raising your own definitely increases that feeling in your gut that there should be no "waste" at all.

Kathryn and Ari said...

"Fall is finishing time. . . "

You have the soul of a poet.

sugarcreekstuff said...

Hi Ceecee, I saw that leaf and ran to the house to get the camera. Our temps are above average for this time of year, not that I'm complaining, I am so glad you are getting relief from the heat.

Laughing orca ranch?? When did your title switch from twinville?

Hubby had to come out to see what I was doing, we watched that thing for half an hour until it got stuck in a bush. Cheap thrills.

The chickens just wanted scraps, they only eat leaves in winter when other greens die off.

Your temps sound perfect.

Fall crops would require me to actually get some weeds out of the garden, maybe next year.

Happy Fall Lisa!

Farm mom, thanks for the boost. Pasture prices do seem high if you are used to the cheap chicken at the store prices. But when you figure out the cost of raising a bird in a healthy manner, $10 - $15 per bird isn't that high. Our farmers work is so undervalued/unappreciated in this country. The kids were watching a show this summer and I cant remember if it was China or Japan, but they wont leave a single grain of rice left in their bowl, the rice farmers work so hard for each and every grain and this honors them. I just wish it was this way in our country.
Waste not, want not.

Kathryn and Ari, your comment made my day :-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Michelle,

I decided to change it over this past weekend...changed the colors and some stuff on my blog, too. Sort of a Fall Cleaning, if you will.
I was realizing that many folks were confused by my Twinville comment name because it didn't match my blog (or at least the blog that is most active), so I just decided to make it all match.
Sorry for the surprise! hehe

And I totally agree with your statement: "Our farmers work is so undervalued/unappreciated in this country"

I got so annoyed yesterday when I asked one of my neighbors if she needed any fresh farm eggs, and she said 'No, I've found them cheaper at the grocery store at only $1.50 a dozen"

Now, keep in mind she is buying factory farmed, non organic eggs for $1.50 a dozen....having to drive 10 miles to get to the store, spending gas and time.

I only charge my neighbors $2.00 a dozen for eggs laid either the same day or a day earlier. Eggs from chickens that get plenty of exercise, fresh air, grass, bugs, healthy scraps and organic feed!

Do you see where my rant is leading?

This neighbor would rather save a measely .50 cents, instead of supporting a neighbor chicken farmer who is raising healthy chickens to make available fresh eggs for her family and customers.

I honestly just do not get it...do you?

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

I LOVE fall so much too though here in Arizona we don't get the falling leaves. One still gets a sense of fall though as the cooler temps arrive and I love it so.