Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Weekend


Labor is right.




Good news, Friday I had to call for my Jury Duty instructions and after an hour of calling, I got through and was told they didn't need me this week, Yay! I was also told I get to call again this Friday eve, hopefully not for a full hour again, and find out if they need me next week, B00!


Saturday


Saturday we had a triple birthday party to go to for 3 nieces ages 1, 3 and 7. So that morning found me in the garden, no named crocs covered in dew, alligator grass scratching my legs (yes the weeds have won), picking tomatoes, onions and peppers. I wanted to take salsa as my dish to pass.



Since I am queen of procrastination, after making the salsa, I started making the gifts.










They are a homeschooling family and I wanted to make book bags for the girls.












I put the letter of their first name on the front pocket.


The girls liked their bags, the salsa was a hit. One SIL said "It's so good, I cant stop eating it!" I had made a big batch and it was gone. Score one for garden veggies!

I just use tomatoes, onion, green peppers(seeded), one or two jalapenos (seeded)a splash of cider vinegar, a bit of salt, a bit more of sugar and some dried cilantro (I don't care for fresh). Grind in a food processor. I add some chopped tomatoes and onion for bigger chunks and that's it.



Sunday







Do you remember our logs from our work back in June?


On Sunday I split them all with the help of this handy dandy machine.


Then I had to take my son to my Dads since he is mowing Dads land while he's away, so while we were there...



...the girl and I picked apples.
They aren't pretty apples and I have to cut out the buggy parts, but they are free and organic.



Monday
"Any chicken news?"
"Why yes Little Mama there is."
Hubbie and I harvested our first chicken.
I just kept thinking how I want to feed my family healthy food. My hubbie did do most of the unpleasant business, he hunts so this isn't new to him. These chickens aren't pets, we got them just for this purpose. I think I did a better job than I thought I could.


The skin is so yellow. I plan on cooking it tonight.

I talked to my sister this morning and she was grossed out. She said she never could do that. Now keep in mind she isn't a vegetarian. I told her, I gave him food and care, he was allowed to roam our land pecking and scratching, chasing bugs and other chickens. Other than the last 30 seconds of its life, he had it pretty good. Can the factory chickens claim that?

I also told her that so many people are disconnected where their food comes from that they will eat chicken nuggets not caring how many chickens died for that pressed meat or how they were treated before that. She agreed.

Now I'm not saying what others should or shouldn't do for the food they eat, I have been blissfully downing food for years without concern for where it came from. This is what I am doing now and don't want to be made to feel bad about it.

Ok, so back to Monday

Hubbie moved tons of dirt. We sometimes get road run off into our pond so he has been building up the side to prevent that from happening.

The kids and I stacked the firewood.

It feels good to get a good start on lowering our heating costs this winter.

It's the kids first day back to school.

Now I'm off to the kitchen to tackle those apples.

11 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ok, ya know, as another homeschooling family here, I am digging those bags. What a great way to carry library books home, or carry supplies for field trips. Love it!

And your salsa sounds divine! So fresh picked the very same morning. But you know, I'd have to use fresh roasted green chilies instead of jalapenos. hehe

I'm impressed that you got all those things started (and finished)the same day as the party. You rock!

Your visuals of the croc shoes and alligator grass battling each other made me smile :)

I admire you for your food convictions, Michelle. I'm right there with you, but just have to figure out how to disconnect from our chickens on the personal level, as food, instead of pets.

Is the trick, buying broiler chicks just for meat, and never naming them or becoming to 'chummy'?

I think we might try this next Spring. Ranchman John is too soft to do the butchering, but my son Jackson, has already said he'd help. wow.

Your hen pic is so cute, by the way. And I'm glad you didn't have to do jury duty :)

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh! And I almost forgot "Congrats on that big honkin' stack of firewood!" (Love those shorts! hehe)

:)

frugalmom said...

Yay!! No jury duty. Now, thats good news.

The salsa sounds delicious and as always, the bags rock.

You guys had a really busy weekend, huh? That firewood will sure keep you cozy this winter. Im sure my little helper would have been a huge help to you...Michelle stacks 2 on...G takes one off...2 on..1 off...

sugarcreekstuff said...

Hi Twinville, I'm glad you like the bags, I was trying to give kudos to the homeschoolers since that side of the family has given them nothing but grief. Go figure.

Green chilies/jalepenos, they both work.

I wish I was one of those people who always plans ahead but I'm not, so I usually lose sleep getting things done in time.

Yes, I have my hens that will never be our food. Naming and hand feeding is a no no with the meat ones. They don't even act like they like me. I still don't know if I could do the tough parts of the butchering, I'm grateful to have someone who will.

I'm pretty positive my Jury service is just postponed due to the shortend week, I may not be so lucky next week.

Isn't my big honking stack great!

I wear mens swim trunks on hot hard working days incase I feel like a swim. I can just hop in anytime, beats hard work in a swimsuit. Those were under $2 at valueworld.

sugarcreekstuff said...

Frugalmom, that little of helper of yours is so cute it would be worth it.

Danni said...

Dang, now that's a whole lotta LABORIN' going on at your place. Sheesh. I need a dip in your pond after reading all that.
Love your procrastination techniques - I seem to work best under pressure, too. LOL. Those bags are adorable.
And so, now you can add "grow and harvest my own meat" to your ever-growing list of amazing accomplishments! I have no doubt it was difficult, but I bet you feel like you learned a ton and grew from the experience.
Now, back to work you slacker!
:-) :-) :-) :-):-o

Anonymous said...

COngrats on all the hard work! specially living up to your food convictions. It isn't easy, and it never should be. Proud of you!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love those busy and productive weekends. Those book bags are the best too. They are lucky girls!

Carla said...

Wow, all I can say is "You go, girl!!" You had one busy weekend and tackled some ginormous jobs--both physical and mental.

Country Chick said...

Awesome Job Woman! I think you and I think a lot alike! Come and check out what we did on labor day weekend! We butchered chickens too and did a bunch of other stuff to our house... I love letting people know where OUR food comes from! Janine

Mim said...

Hmmm, still not sure if we could "harvest" our birds. Maybe if we did the meat birds? Named them all Lemon?