I am new to this butchering of chickens. I have helped with the deer my husband hunts, but that is only after it has stopped looking like a deer. I package roasts to freeze and grind strips of meat, package and freeze. Hubbie pretty much does the really ick stuff and I assist, so why change what works with chickens? I have done all the work raising them up to this point so if he does a few more steps on the final day, I call it even.
There are some really good bloggers who already posted the butchering process
http://childreninthecorn.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-eviscerate-or-gutdress-chicken.html
I don't claim to know what I'm doing so you wont be reading any of that here.
What I do know is the little tidbits of info that will help out a newbie like me to make the processing a bit easier your first time.
meat chicken

If you are a softy, don't call the chickens anything but meat. Feed, water and give general care. Don't pick them up other than to check for pasty butt, don't hand feed snacks, I just toss scraps off the back deck so they don't even see me as the snack provider. "The sky is falling with snacks!"
This is Meaty (thanks Danni), he was injured, I have been taking good care of him, he is now safe from butchering. Yikes. I don't really need an injured roo but it's too late now. So not getting attached is easier said than done.
Now before you even start the butchering, read up as much as you can, look at good sites right before you butcher. I also put the August/September, 2006 issue of Backyard Poultry in a baggie (to keep clean) and took it out to have on hand for reference. You can even write out a shortened list in order of the steps just in case you don't have someone around to help read as you go.
Make a list of things you will need, add to the list each time you discover something that will make the job easier for the next time. It is a pain to stop what you are doing to run in the house for extra towels or kitchen shears.
I also recommend working with a partner if at all possible. For one you can share the work but it is also nice to have someone to chat with.
For the first time I recommend just one chicken, you can take your time, learn as you go and you won't feel overwhelmed. We were going to do 3 the first time but 2 escaped while grabbing the first one from the cage. Not funny at the time but it worked out for the best.
screen tent
We have a screen tent that we take camping to set over the picnic table and it is a great place to work during the processing. You need to set aside time for the butchering, sometimes the weather doesn't always cooperate with your schedule, like the remnants of Ike for instance. It is also nice to have the earth as your floor because you WILL make a mess. Did I mention grubby clothes?
table hose
Use a table that is easy to clean. We used a resin type camp table that was big enough for the plucking on one end and the evisceration on the other. A hose is also important to rinse when needed. This is another reason its nice to have an earth floor. I also recommend a nozzle that you can squeeze with one hand. The 2 handed twisty ones suck.
pot and gas
We purchased this gas burner to have the pot of hot water at constant temp and to have near by. When I first dunked the bird the water didn't soak in so I added a few drops of dish soap and had no problems after that. The thermometer came with the burner.
To hand pluck (my job) and eviscerate (hubbies job) 4 roosters look us well over 3 hours that was preparation and cleaning the area when done. That didn't count the final cleaning up of the skin.
Now if you have someone in your house that is a pimple popper, I'm not admitting to anything, the final clean up of the skin isn't that bad of a job. Needle nose pliers are handy too.
Just make sure ahead of time you have the proper baggies for the job. Discovering there are no bags in the pantry can cause spontaneous cussing. Luckily I scrounged and emptied dried goods into other containers and came up with the 4 bags needed. I also recommend the 2 gal size because some of those roos were a tight squeeze in the gallon size.
Now if you don't think you can do the job yourself, I am lucky that my husband goes along with most of my ideas, paying someone else to process is fine too. It does add to the cost per bird, but you are still getting healthy meat in the end.
I hope this helps any of you considering raising your own meat birds. It is a good feeling being able to have some self sufficiency with the food we eat.
hammy
Don't worry Hammy, we already named you.

13 comments:
Wow - you did it...!
And so...lie down, please, on this couch here and.... tell us how you feel. And after that, answer these questions please: Did you go into this with much trepidation? Were you present for the killing process? Was the mess horrible? Did the other chickens react? What'd your husband think? Have you eaten one yet? and the big one: Will you do it again?
Great post, Michelle...your tips made a world of sense.
I actually feel positive toward the whole process. I like knowing a chicken died for our meat instead of just ordering a chicken sandwich with no thought as to how it lived or died. It makes me appreciate the life it gave that is feeding my family.
I wasn't nervous ahead of time until I was picking which roosters were going to death row the evening before, then I put the cage right outside my window and they were so loud on my morning of sleeping in, that made it easier.
I was there for the killing process for the second batch. The roo was calm, it was a bit eerie but it didn't take long.
We have our killing cone nailed to a tree at the edge of our woods so the blood drained into dry leaves and the cone kept it still, it did shudder some as it died. Hubbie got a bit of spatter on his shirt but other than that the mess wasn't bad. The table gets messy for the plucking, but we didn't allow food from the previous night which makes it less messy for the evisceration, not much more mess than the juice from a chicken from the store.
The egg layers showed up during the process and we had to shoo them away from the blood and after we were done they came and cleaned up the little pin feathers that missed the bucket. They pluck each others butts bald over the winter so I figured no harm there.
Hubbie is a hunter and said it was way easier and less work than a deer. I asked if he wanted me to raise meat chickens for next year and he said "Yea, why not."
We ate the first one, I cooked it differently, I usually use an oven bag but have been trying to reduce my plastic usage, I dont have a roasting pan with a lid, so I just covered it with foil, not tight, and was a bit more chewy than usual, the flavor was great though. I don't know if it was from the cooking or the fact that these chickens actually use their muscles. I boiled the carcass for dumplings and soup and that meat was tender. I thought it was the best chicken and dumplings I ever made.
I have one from the weekend in the crock pot right now, I'll add to this comment section later to let you know how it turns out.
If hubby wasn't on board, I don't know if I would do it all by myself, it is a big job and I'm not the toughest cookie in the jar, but with his help we plan on doing this every year.
I remember back when I was cooking my first turkey (ancient times) and being so grossed out pulling the neck and pouch out of the turkey, now many years later, I'm carring a dead chicken by the feet, dunking it into a pot of hot water, plucking it's feathers clean while it's head is still attached. I have come a long way thats for sure. Wanting to feed my family healthy, affordable food is the driving force and makes me tougher than I ever thought I could be.
Thanks for asking and I hope I got all your Q's, if you or anyone else has any more, I'll be happy to answer them.
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for sharing your real life experience again. I really appreciate it.
I used to also (and still am, a little) be grossed out by pulling out the neck and pouch like you. But we have been discussing growing our own meat chickens next year. We're also thinking of getting cornish chickens for meat, too.
Like you I want to know where our food comes from and want to have a part in being sure our food has a good life before we permit it to enter our bodies.
I was wondering if the roo meat tends to be tougher than the hen meat? Have you butchered any hens yet?
I remember while I was growing up, my father butchered a roo and the meat was tough like leather. Of course, the roo was a nasty evil thing, so maybe that had an effect on the meat? haha
So now I must know what pimple popping has to do with chicken butchering and in what ways are needle nose pliers used??
~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico
Hi twinville, we haven'd butchered any hens yet, the roos are bigger and louder, so they go first.
I hear the older the bird the tougher the meat, ours are 20 weeks right now, the one we ate was 16 weeks, about the age to start. I hear you also need to age the meat before freezing.
Sometimes the base of the feathers stay in the skin, a bit of a squeeze usually does the trick but sometimes you need the pliers to get it all out.
You go girl. That is so awesome. I just dont know....I just dont know if I will be able to do that.
All of your info was really great. Super ideas and the stuff just made perfect sense.
You might have to come and hold my hand.
frugalmom, I know it isn't for everybody. I didn't even fathom this until after I read that book, made me think differently about things. I recently watched fast food nation and I know I couldn't help with a cow and I'm glad we have a local farm where we get our half pig all packaged and nice.
Well I just tested the meat in the crockpot and it is SOOO TENDER and SOOO TASTY. Not much fat in the bottom.
I am thanksful to my hubby when it comes to this job. I help with packaging and raising them and that is all I had to do last time....I am sure I'll be in for it next time. We did have some of the birds done up by the butcher too. This past summer was the first time we ever raised meat birds and now I do not want to eat chicken from the grocery store. We just ordered more chicks.
I'm impressed. But I have to ask: which execution method did you use with the cone? Michael Pollan and Barbara Kingsolver both really inspired me, and I think I could do the plucking and eviscerating, but I'm less sure about neck ringing or slitting.
PS- Thanks for your HI-larious comment about wooly bears gone wild. I laughed mightily at that.
Country Girl, I is nice having a husband that does the dirty work. Like his hunting, he gets a lot of satisfaction providing meat for us.
What kind of chicks did you order? I curious how well other breeds work, size wise and taste.
Kathryn and Ari, hubby did the slitting. I think that would be the hardest part for me too.
Your post was the crack up, that pick of the wolly chewing the leaf started the hilarity.
WooHoo! You da' woman!
I just need to get my chicken tractor built and I'm off to the same race as you.
Question---did you let it rest in the fridge for at least 3 days? That is supposed to make all the difference in the world as far as taste AND texture.
What a great job - it make look gruesome at the time but it's a lifetime away from the awfulness of factory farming:)
Hi Ceecee, luckily I have a spare coop and they roam most of the day so I didn't need the tractor.
I let the meat rest for 2 1/2 days before I froze it, I hope it's long enough.
Hi Magnusmog, I agree about the factory farming. These chickens lived happily here.
I think 2 1/2 days is plenty. I just hear that some folks make the mistake of putting the finished bird right in the freezer. Sounds creepy, but I once heard it explained as "putting it in the freezer in a state of rigor mortis". It can be nothing but tough in that case. The meat needs to relax.
Post a Comment