Thursday, March 20, 2008

Oh Spring!

I love you spring. Not only that you are here on the calendar, but today happened to be a springish day. (We wont discuss they are predicting 2-5" of snow tomorrow)
The sun has been out all day!





The girls and I got some yard work done.
Lola, Freckles, and Chip.



I got some wooden eggs for the girls nests, I'm hoping to convince one to go broody.
Then I plan on getting fertilized eggs from my dad. He has a rooster.



I caught Hawkeye giving them a test drive.

(Old particle board dresser, rescued from the curb, nesting box)

I cleaned off the porch. Hauled the last of the firewood in. Note to self: next year split more wood, winter is looooooong.

I got the bench, chair and birdhouse (all free) from 3 different places and only recently discovered they all are the same shade of green. I was planning to re-paint but I guess I'll have to think about it now.

The zucchini bread in the crock pot turned out well. I may have to take it on our next camping adventure as a nice baking oven. Just need an electric source.

Isn't it cute!

I have a pumpkin cake in there today. I may try "real" bread next.

This is kind of fun but I do want my oven fixed.

I just finished the book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". Gives you tons to think about and makes me want to make my "almost too big for me to handle organic garden" even bigger. And our orchard is doing well, hubbie is in charge of it and is obsessed with blueberry bushes. He bought a bunch more as well as more fruit trees. I'm giving him another grape vine for Easter, so don't tell him.

My hubbie and I are getting some meat chickens this year. My dad has gotten some Cornish Rocks in the past, but the fact that you have to butcher them before they drop dead of heart failure is a little unsettling to me. So I'm looking at maybe the Dark Cornish as an option. Does anyone out there have experience with that breed?

7 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Clever idea on using the crock pot and large can to bake breads. Do you have any good recipes to share?

And your creativity in using recycled/found items never ceases to impress me. I love that you used an old dresser as a nest box! Fabulous!

We tried to use as much recycled/found stuff for our coop, too. We found an old packing crate from a movie set nearby and modified that to use as our hens' nesting box. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, too.

ps, your front porch is very inviting. I bet you enjoy sitting out there with a cup of tea and your delicious zuchinni bread.

sugarcreekstuff said...

Twinville, you are so sweet.
I can't take credit for the coffee can baking idea, and the recipes are from published books so I'm not sure if I can give any. My library has used booksales all the time ( fill a bag for $5) and my fav's are the cookbooks. I get the crockpot ones and the ones that the groups put together for fund raising, usually tried and tested recipes.
I have 2 coops that we spent $0 dollars on. I figure anything I use is just going to get chicken poop on it so why spurge? And I love the scrounging.
I love my front porch, my favorite time to sit there is during a gentle summer rain and watch the water dance on our pond. My grandfather was a crop farmer and he would call it "a million dollar rain".

goatgirl said...

Hey I got my bag. It is darling. I can't wait to give it to my friend, the den mother, but she has been gone the last few days. She will love it. Thank you so much for my present. I love the chicken.
Your front porch is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, the zuchinni bread looks wonderful. I can almost smell it.
The porch looks so comfortable.
Good luck on all your blueberry and fruit tree/grape vine planting.
I really enjoyed my visit.

Danni said...

Oooh...like Twinville, I love the idea of the old dresser for the nesting boxes. very cool. i've never been a freecycler before, but i love the creativity that goes along with it. i definitely need to adjust my thinking along these terms...see all that i learn from you??! :-)

sugarcreekstuff said...

You ladies are so kind.
Goatgirl, I'm glad you like the bag and gift. I get that nervous feeling when I send something out that the person has only seen in photos, so thank you.

ga.farmgirl, I'm down to one bag of shredded zucchini left in the freezer so I'm looking forward to this years planting. We are hoping to get an orchard going that keeps us in local fruits all year.

farmgirl_dk, I have something in me that makes me eyeball every interesting looking trash pile and see what i can come up with, I saw a junky dresser, my girls needed nesting boxes in their "new" coop, I removed some of the drawers to make it roomy, screwed one of the drawers on the top (some of the girls like to sleep up there). I like to be able to make something useful out of a throwaway item and if I built it from scratch it would look like crap and probably not be safe to use.

Yaroslavna said...

It;s been a while since I've stopped by.
Don't be afraid to have cornish rocks. Just don't let them eat at night. If I remember correctly --no food after 5 pm till next morning. i received all the info and instructions from the hatchery when the chics arrived. They grew really fast and i would recommend not to wait too long with butchering. Other wise You'll get just some extra fat on them and not meat.
I also loved the book "Living with Chickens"