Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saturday morning project

What do you do on a Saturday morn, soccer games are cancelled due to rain, and the rest of the family is sound asleep? You recycle dog food bags into dog food bag bags.

The bag our dog food comes in is made of a woven plastic type fabric. It seemed a shame such sturdy material gets pitched. I have been saving them up until inspiration struck.



Step one: Turn dog food bag inside out. (easier said than done) Wash bag to the best of your ability. You'll need soap since the dog food leaves a greasy film. Rinse well and let dry.




Cut off the top few inches of the clean, reversed bag.




Open cut top portion at seam. This becomes your handle. Fold edges in and sew.
If you have the needle down option on your machine use it. The fabric is slippery and the feed dogs slip a bit so help guide it through.





Fold over top inch of bag and sew.



I did this two times 1/4" apart to give it a finished look.
You want your dog food bag bag looking good right?







Hold the edges and cram your foot in, to reverse bag.
Wearing pajama pants is your call.



Stitch handle onto bag.


I did this twice, 1/4" apart for reinforcement.
See how nice the stitching is.

Fold over and secure at the top. You are covering the raw edge of the handle and making it very sturdy.




See how purdy it looks. Ok, my photo skills suck.






Now you have a finished dog food bag bag.








Its very roomy.







Here's the back side.

This bag isn't water proof due to the stitching on the bottom, but it is very water resistant.

I figured it would make a great bag for the car, holding winter blankets, hats and gloves. A great beach bag for the sandy towels, buckets and seashells. Picnic bag for the Frisbees, balls or other toys. Soccer or other sports gear. Just hook it on the headrest and let hang behind the seat.

I made four. One is definitely going in my car.

6 comments:

appalcart said...

This is too funny.

Remember the other day about your photo of the pan of egg shells? just after my chicken buddy at lunch was describing to me how she collects egg shells in a pan in the pull-out-drawer under her oven?

OK, so this morning, I'm at the landfill/recycle section and a gal has a bunch of old dogs bags filled to the brims with her various to-be-recycled items. I come home thinking how smart that was to recycle the old dog bags. I click on your blog and you've made dog bag bags! he-he.

Keep it coming.

Carla said...

All I can say is "COOL". I can't sew a button on a shirt and there you go making bags out of dog food bags.

If you could make them square on the bottom so they could sit up, then you have a fancy new "green" grocery shopping bag.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You said:
"The fabric is slippery and the feed dogs slip a bit"

Well, ya know....of course the feed dogs slip...it is a bag of dog feed after all! hehe

I have pair of flannel jammie pants that look alot like yours. Maybe it's time we plan a PJ party?? I'll bring the margaritas and brownies! hehe

I just love how you recycle and reuse so many interesting things using your creativity and ingenuity to make something very unique and special.

You know what I like about these bags? They have a sort of 'vintage' look to them, sort of like those purses made from old cigar boxes.
If it weren't for that cheesy $4.99price tag on the front, they'd be very cool to lug around, in all situations.

But I bet folks who attend dog shows and such would love them to carry their grooming supplies, dog snacks, leashes, papers and such.

Another thought occurred to me!

Sometimes when I buy livestock feed, they come in those sturdy poly-type bags, too. And I'm thinking they could make really cute bags with the chicken, llama, rabbit or goat pictures on them. Would be fun to tote to 4H or pet shows or while doing PR with the critters.

Maybe if I find the perfect feed bag, I'll have to talk you into dong a 'commision' bag for me. And then send it to you to do your magic!

Kathryn and Ari said...

Wow. The seams on your dog food bags are much better than the seams on the skirts I make. Maybe I could wear a dog food bag bag skirt?

sugarcreekstuff said...

Joanna-what the? This is getting weird.

Ceecee-I love sewing and can't go a week without sewing something.
Its a good idea about the bags but they are a pain to wash (by hand). I have to wash my canvas grocery bags after every use, especially if it held meat. I'm freaky that way.

Twinville- A pj party sounds great. I'll make popcorn.
My "new bags" have a 5.69 price tag so La De Da. And I'd be happy to make you a Feed bag, you just need to wash it first. That was my least fav part.

Kathryn and Ari-Do you have a patent on that idea, or can I steal it? I'm in need of a new wardrobe.

Danni said...

Wow - you are amazing. This is so fun. You are completely talented, very imaginative, you take excellent pictures, and I loved the shot of (and caption that went along with) your pastel socks and flannel jammie bottoms.
You crack me up! But, I'm still funnier. xxoo danni