Finally! How long has it been? Feels like months. I am a gal who loves to bake. I couldn't give up Friday night pizza, so with only the top heating element working, I'd put the crust in first, top shelf, then added toppings and cooked the bajeebuz out of the pepperoni but it was still edible.
The crock pot coffee can worked ok, but the brownies and cakes were very compressed.
Hubbie scrounged a "new" heating element from a stove in our barn, a spare from one of our rental houses. I think he wanted the return of the home made bread as much as i did.
Here is the first thing I made:
Baked Oatmeal
1 stick of butter in med mixing bowl Zap til melty
2 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar (a bit less if you don't like things so sweet)
1 t salt
2 T baking powder
1 c milk
2 t vanilla
mix until smooth, pour into a buttered 9"x13" pan. Stir in
3 1/2 c quick cook oats (dry)
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c golden raisins
Bake 350 for 35-40 mins
when done, take out and stir till crumbly
I make it at night and zap individual bowls in the morning.
You can add milk or eat as is.Its G E Double U D, Gewd!
Then I turn off the oven and put in
Crumbled eggshells to sit awhile in the heat. I then crush them even smaller and give them to the girls as a calcium supplement. They like it and its free unlike ground oyster shells.

3 comments:
My from-out-of-town chicken buddy girlfriend and I were at lunch today talking about saving eggshells which she also uses on her garden and then I check in to your blog and there is a pan of eggshells. Great minds think alike.
She LOVED my chick bag. And you know I just adore your chicken mailbox, now I gotta have one.
Thank goodness you got the stove going again.
I didn't know you had to bake the shells! Yikes. What's that for?
I've just been crumbling the shells tiny and giving them 'fresh'.
Is that ok, too???
joanna-It's funny how often that happens. Why I posted my eggshells that same day??
I'm working on more chick bags this week and a couple of new suprise things too. Too bad housework keeps distracting me.
The mailbox was just too white. We realize it will get smashed again but wanted it to be fun in the mean time.
twinville-I read somewhere (not sure where) that by cooking the eggshells, just a bit, changes the taste and you get less chance of the chickens becoming egg eaters. I've also discovered that they are easier to crush after they have been in the oven. But either way is fine just so long as they are getting calcium.
I just put them in the oven as its cooling down after baking something else. Saves energy, and you don't pull a whoopsie and have burnt eggshell stink in your house.
Lesson learned.
Post a Comment