Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'm Freaking!

I am for sure going to be in the show. AAAHHHHHH!!!! I'm excited and terrified all at the same time. I'm excited because this is the show of shows and never thought I'd be there other than to shop and be inspired. Terrified because its so huge, 4 days and I will never have the inventory I'd prefer to have. I average 2 to 4 hours per bag and the last 3 days I have gotten 8 finished. If I average 10 per week,if I'm lucky, that is only 80 on top of the 100+ I have. I do have some art quilts, aprons and tissue packs, but still.
I am freaking.

Then my next show after that is 3 weeks later. Oh what have I gotten myself into.
Just keep breathing.
The kids have less than 3 weeks of school, lots of field trips I volunteered for, we have 2 summer trips planned before the show, I have a big garden waiting to grow, weed, harvest, process. Not to mention the 25 meat chickens I have growing in the coop. Then three more big shows in the fall. WHAT WAS I THINKING????
Another thing stressing me out, I got on the scale this morning, which I don't recommend, and I'm only 5 pounds shy of being my heaviest WHEN I WAS PREGNANT!!!
Oh yea, our tenants moved out of one of our rental properties, left it a mess, including 2 large aquariums with DEAD FISH IN THEM!!!
Guess who usually cleans and paints them?? It's me.
We so need to get it rented soon because I don't have the cash to pay for another home.
Ok, I'm going to think of the positives.
We are all healthy. That's really good.
The weather is supposed to get warmer. Yay!









I'm loving making these bags from my leftover scraps. Fun and frugal.
Oh I figured out why my pictures were less than clear. You have to periodically wipe kid fingerprints off the lens.
Ok, so my good list is pretty good.
How do full time working moms do it?

5 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

I probably really messing up this story, but your current situation reminds me of this: For a school class, a boy had to write a paper on a variety of birds, involving much research. To him, the project was overwhelming and he developed "writer's block" and could not even begin to put words on paper. Turning to his father for some guidance he was wisely told to approach his project "just one bird at a time."
You've got a big work load ahead of you, SugarCreek, but you can do it -- one bird at a time.
Peace!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good advice....Just like your sweet chickens below your gorgeous bags "One Bird at a Time"!

By the way I'm digging those 'scrap bags'. They remind me of cozy quilts. I bet they sell really well at the shows, too.

I may have to do more shopping on your Etsy, in preparation for Christmas (yikes. can't believe I just said that as we are finally clawing our way out of winter here!)

Good luck! (But you won't need it!)

If you end up with not enough bags, just have your ETSY website card available and let people know you can do custom work, too. They'll be thrilled! And you'll have tons of new business!
Yay!

Kathryn and Ari said...

I just finished reading a great new book by Amy Sutherland, and she had some sound writerly advice: when she's working on a project, she only thinks about a single sentence or paragraph at a time, that way the prospect of finishing a whole book doesn't seem so damn daunting. I bet that works for shows, too. And I, for one, believe full well that you are going to be wildly successful at all of them. Just remember us, your little blogging friends, when you hit the big time and one of your bags finds its way onto Oprah.

PS- Dead fish? Ugghhh.

Carla said...

Oh goodness, I just opened your post.
Say the Serenity Prayer over and over and BREATHE. Really, I'm not kidding. When my mom was dying, I'd find myself taking BIG deep breaths and it helped enormously.

Your show will be wonderful. You'll do great and everyone will love your bags, just like we do.

The weight thing---HA! If it makes you feel better, I weigh exactly the same I did at my heaviest pregnancy. At 42, I'm just trying to get healthy. Diet is no longer in my vocabulary.

I wish I could come help you with the meat chickens. I need to the practice, as growing and processing my own chickens is on my "gonna do it sooner than later" list.

Breathe. One thing at a time. :)

sugarcreekstuff said...

Oh thank you wise women, just what I needed to hear.

And ceecee- It must be a 42 year old thing, me too! Yea and no I don't diet, life too short to be hungry like that. I'll start up out bike riding routine when the kids got out of school, maybe that will help my midsection.