Twenty four days ago, my dad and I started a building my "new" coop. The goal was to use up a lot of scraps that were in both of our barns. I come from a long line of scroungers, I am a scrounger, married a scrounger, so I knew there would be a lot of freebies. Little did I know, in such a short time, and less than $70 later, I would have a coop that far exceeded anything I had hoped for.
I started off with a major advantage having a builder for a dad.
He is also very clever at figuring ways to do things.
The ramp grips into place but can easily be removed.
Some boards from my brothers old water bed, an old window and a set of drawers became a new cabinet to store supplies out of the way.
The drawers are a perfect place for tools, nails or other small items.
Pretty cool!
T-Bone approves.
My brother had made us a deer feeder for Christmas quite a few years back. It is illegal to feed deer now...
...but not chickens!
They seem to like it.
We hung the dresser/nesting box on the wall for more floor space and easier cleaning.
This was a ladder from an old bed left by one of our tenants.
The only things left to do are caulking in the cracks, painting the exterior (may have to wait until spring), putting on a door handle and eventually adding an attached run for when I don't want the chickens in the yard.
I still need to buy bedding for the floor.
Brownie is so excited, her feathers fell off!
When i was helping my dad pack up his tools today, I had to keep myself from crying. Not only do I realize what a huge gift this is and how lucky I am, I got to spend time laughing, learning and just being with my Dad.

7 comments:
Ya know I was giggling thinking to myself what sorts of things your chickens will place in those drawers. I'm sure they will find the tools and small objects very helpful to have around. lol!
I'm thinking that the chickens should go back to their old 'Clampett' home and you should use these new digs as a craft studio. It's that nice!
Like you, I'm a scrounger, too. So I'm always impressed seeing what clever ideas other scroungers come up with.
Great job!
And what special memories to think of everytime you look at your chicken house, too.
~Lisa
It's way cool, Michelle! And I'm green with seasickness, er, I mean, morning sickness, noooo...green with ENVY -that's it- that you spent less than $70 for the whole thing. That's really incredible. And you are really, really, super fortunate to have such a cool pop. As in Dad - that you love to spend time with.
Have you broken the bottle of champagne against the side of it yet? :-)
It looks super great! And add to that the fact that you got to hang out with your dad....priceless.
All your little touches are really fun. And amazing at how you were able to pull it off for 70 bucks. Thats incredible.
You are one lucky woman. Make sure your dad reads this. Sometimes verbal praise doesn't quite match reading what is really in a person's heart.
LOVE the coop!
Laughing orca, you are so funny! The Drawers are for ME! ;-0
I have been told I should use it but I think the chickens and my Dad would have something to say about that.
Scroungers Unite!
Hi Farmgirl, I get seasick too. We have so much in common. ;-) I know! Never in my wildest dreams would I have a coop this nice, this cheap. You saw my last cheap coop. SCAREY!
No champagne, too expensive. Unless I scrounge some from somewhere.
Frugalmom, We almost lost my dad 15 years ago, so this coop and time spent means so much to me.
The whole time my dad kept saying that he was just glad to get rid of the stuff from his barn. And i only got the particle board so cheap from Hubbies job.
Ceecee, I am lucky, I kept squeezing and thanking him everyday. He is just glad I'm in the chicken business. (his words)
I love love love it. I've been collecting old windows & doors for quite a while in hopes of building my own scrap greenhouse and a chicken coop as well.
I absolutely love yours.
What a great coop but the time spent with your dad is priceless.
Post a Comment