Thursday, June 25, 2009

Aliens have landed!


Not really, but something equally strange happened today.






WE SAW AN ICE CREAM TRUCK!






I was chattin with my online pals and I heard strange music from the window. It took a few seconds to figure out just what it was. We live in the country and don't get ice cream trucks. Jehovah Witnesses like crazy but not ice cream trucks.






So as I'm typing "I hear an ice cream truck" to my pals, i am yelling for the kids.
Now mind you I had no money. I had stopped at a couple of yard sales on my way to the post office and spent my last 3.95. Luckily I had change in the car changey holder so I was able to splurge!
I got 2 vintage pillow cases for .10 each
A brand new in the wrap Mickey Mouse t-shirt for 1.50 (for the girl)
a pack of note cards for .25, i think they are of Fort Mackinaw
and for $2 dollars some toys that just last week my son was trying to get me to buy for him online, score!
*
Sorry where was I, oh yea Ice Cream Truck no money.
So the kids came running up from the cool basement, my son grabs $2 his bike and was out of here, I type "I'm heading outside" or something like that, my girl is freaking and cant find her $.
I wait, she finds some, its 90 degrees outside we get on our bikes and head for the hill of death. We have this huge hill to the left of the drive and that is where I last saw the truck and my son. We are dying, I'm trying to keep my girl from crying, she thinks she's missed her chance. We get to the top and see no truck and no big brother. We are trying to catch our breath and curse the heat at the same time.
Then from the road ahead, our hero comes bearing 2 Popsicles, the only thing the truck had for a dollar. He says he didn't think we'd make it so he got 2 things.
You should have seen my girls face. And I'm thinking "What did I do to deserve such a kid."
So the ride back, luckily all down hill, we praised our big brother hero and sang songs that will be passed down for generations to come.
So for their first ice cream truck experience, it was a good one.

7 comments:

Christy said...

That is the biggest thing I'll miss living in the country now. The ice cream truck used to come every evening. We loved it.

Anonymous said...

What a great tale!

I lived in the country as a child and I too missed not having the chance to get ice cream from the "ice cream van". I used to buy it as I left school sometimes because there was always a truck outside.

Carla said...

Hooray for big brother!! Great story. Your DD is one lucky little girl to have such an heroic big bro.

PS...I've passed along an award to you if you want to swing by and pick it up.

Anonymous said...

This post felt a bit like deja vu ;)

frugalmom said...

I love that you guys heard the ice cream truck and got on your bikes to chase him down...

That is one GREAT big brother. I love that he did that for his sister. I bet after all the hard work biking up the hill of death those popsicles were very tasty.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwww, what a special big brother. I love it when my kids are kind and do sweet things for each other. Makes being a Mom so worth it.

Bah. No ice cream trucks around here either. What a special treat....get it? treat?
lol!

ps, I'm still gathering up a whole box load of feed bags to send you. I've got about 20 now..maybe more. Should be useful....chicken, horse, cattle, dog, etc.
I'll try to get that sent out to you within the next two weeks. I;m such a procastinator.
Been busy around here!

Have a beautiful weekend, my friend! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi my friend, you have an award waiting for you over at Green Desert. I think you may have been given it before but still, you deserve it again! :)