Thursday, July 23, 2009

We're Jamming


We are lucky to have a giant wild raspberry patch in the woods behind us.




The scratches, bug bites and purple fingers are a small price to pay.





The kids aren't as dedicated to picking as their mother.
They trudged home while the farm pup and i kept going.
(farm pup picks his own)






We're smashing.











We're Canning.





We're rubbing our tummies in anticipation.

Hand picked homemade jam and home made bread.
We hope you like jamming too.


10 comments:

Carla said...

Lucky family! Hope the finger pokes heal up quickly.

Christy said...

I wish we had raspberries around. I have a bunch of wild blackberries in the freezer waiting for it to cool off some, then I will make and can jam.

Danni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danni said...

(prior comment deleted due to silly typos)

Ooooh....will you please come to my house and teach me how to can? I want to learn, I neeeeeed to learn, I promise to be a good pupil. Are the white/yellow berries as sweet as the black and purple ones?
My arms are scratched all the way up to my elbows from reaching in to pick our raspberries. Hurts at night in the shower - ouch!
I love that T-Bone is a berry-eater, too. Roxy, my farm pup, literally pulls blueberries off the branches with her mouth, taking some of the leaves with her. I can always tell when she's had a snack. The raspberries she just sucks up off the ground like a small vacuum cleaner. :-)
Those finished jam jars look so wonderful!

Christine said...

I just made black raspberry jam the other day. I have the scratches and the chigger bites to prove it.

frugalmom said...

That frog with his hands on his belly cracked me up.

That jam looks fantastic. And paired with fresh homemade bread? Sigh.

Canning party at my house! We can all teach danni how to can!

sugarcreekstuff said...

Ceecee, the jam has healing properties. ;-)

Christy, homemade berry jam is so good no matter which berry it came from.

Farmgirl, silly typos are a fav of mine.
Now Danni, you know how to cook and can read. Thats all the requirements for canning. Just get some pectin (they have the info in the box) I use the powder kind. A few canning supplies. I know you can do it.
Although a trip out to your farm sounds wonderful.
I try to wear jeans and a thick sleeved shirt for picking. I sweat like crazy but have less scratches that way.

Yes T-Bone is a berry picker/eater, no vacuum action though. That would be fun to see.

Christine, luckily we didn't encounter chiggers but we do have to watch for poison ivy.

frugalmom, that frog is a fav of mine. Hubby gift from a work trip to the Dominican Republic.
Homemade bread is a must with jam.

I'll be there!

warren said...

Oh man do we love jamming! Blackberries are just about done but we've made some good stuff! We make syrup for pancakes too...yum!

Erica said...

Oh geez, that jam looks fantastic!!

Knatolee said...

We have so many of these wild raspberry plants on the farm. I must make jam this year!!