Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Around here

We're taking many trips out to the coops.

The hens are enjoying the ramshackle run.



Trying to get a pic from the inside.
Pretty wants to be in a picture too.


Chubby (cheeks) is trying to stay warm.










We are getting low on firewood.





Sniffing fox tracks






Following deer tracks through the garden..







..to see that they were munching on unpicked beets.




Feeding the birds from a homemade Christmas present.













The garden tool shed is waiting for spring.










So is the duck nesting box.











The dock is waiting for summer.


12 comments:

Egghead said...

Oh I love that home made feeder. Oh and the photo of the close up hen. Cute. I miss snow...we only have rain and green grass and mud right now.

Danni said...

Love, love, love your standalone toolshed...it's adorable! And the dock looks so cool with everything all covered in snow. Is the pond frozen solid enough to walk on?
In your 8th picture down, I think I see the structure for a windmill - is it? Do you use it to power anything?
Fun pics, Michelle :-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Everything looks snowy and cold and just waiting for summer to return.

Does your pond freeze solid enough to use it as an ice skating rink in the winter?

Happy New Year to you!
~Lisa

Leslie said...

I enjoyed all of your pictures. Your coop is cute!

Carla said...

Great pictures, but Bbbbrrrr!
I only like snow on the first sunny day, following the snowfall. It looks so crispy and pretty.

Anonymous said...

So nice to see you and yours again! As lovely as ever! :)

frugalmom said...

Hey. You have snow. :-) We do, too. Lots. I, too, love that tool shed. A duck nesting box, huh? And I love your new birdfeeder with the flower on the front!

sugarcreekstuff said...

Hi Egghead, my stepdad made the feeders. My sis and i got different flowers and my brother got an oak leaf. He's talented.
If i could i'd send you some snow, we have plenty.

Mornin Farmgirl, we made our small shed walls from old doors and scraps for the roof and floor(free). I hated lugging all the tools back and forth to the garage. It's small but does the trick.
Our windmill is our pond aerator to help the fish make it through the winter. It's solid now due to the cold but had an open area last week.

Lisa, I do like the cold and snow but have been dreaming of gardens recently. We do skate on the pond but no one seems to want to clear the snow this year.
Happy New Year to you too!

Thanks Leslie, the little blue coop was my play house when I was a kid!

CeeCee, I don't mind the snow, I hate freezing rain and bitter winds. This winter is not so bad, upper 30's for the next week. :)

Thanks Mo, I'm trying to show my face around here more often.

Mornin Frugalmom, yes I've been meaning to thank you for sending it our way.
I think I may put a new coat of paint on the shed this summer.

We put up the duck box last spring but a Red Wing Blackbird couple were the only ones to use it.

The birdies love the new feeder, much nicer than the ancient ones I was using.

Mid-life Midwife said...

Yaay for picture updates! The tool shed is adorable and the bird feeder is lovely! Happy new year!

Chai Chai said...

Love your blog. We grew up in Michigan and miss it dearly. We live in Minnesota now and our first chickens arrive this spring. Just gleaning your blog for information - you are a great writer.

Barbee' said...

I had never seen fox tracks before. Thanks for all the lovely photos!

Knatolee said...

Love your chickens, and your adorable dog!