Friday, January 11, 2008

gloomies

Another crappy gloomy day. I'm tired and I have to clean. Hubbie invited people I've never met over for cards tonight and I feel the need to have a clean and somewhat organized home. I wanted to sew today so it's making me extra grouchy.
So while I'm grouchy I thought I'd share things that have been bothering me.

First of all that Hiker in Georgia. Now why cant a woman go out on a hike with her dog and not be safe. They say that Man has no predators, well us women sure do. She was 24 and had a martial arts background. It's just so sad.


It also bothers me when celebrities ask for people to donate to a cause they believe in. Not that I don't feel their causes aren't worthy, it's just when someone has several homes scattered over the globe, drive cars worth more than the average home, eat at restaurants that I couldn't even afford the basket of bread, it makes me so mad. I know I am blessed with good health and have a nice life, but I want to help my kids with college and want to eventually own my home free and clear. I donate items we no longer need, help with $ when I can and I donate an art piece every year to the "Circle of Art" to raise money for the local food gatherers to feed people in need. I just don't want someone with more money than they will ever need asking for donations from the average Joe. Ask your rich friends!

Also when I go to thrift shops and see dozens of homemade baby blankets just hanging there I get so bummed on how much time and love went into that blanket and someone just got rid of it like it was nothing. I know I'm sentimental that way. Some people put more value into something some poor sweatshop worker from a third world country made because it has a pottery barn label than what their own grandma knitted with her own two hands, made specifically for their baby.

One more thing that bothers me is those Coke commercials they play over the holidays that have the penguins and polar bears partying and sharing cokes. Polar Bears are in the north, Penguins in the south, it's just wrong. Have the polar bears share a coke with a baby seal or some thing more realistic.

Ok. that last one cracked me up and I'm feeling somewhat better. Thanks for listening and have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Chicago Sarah said...

Total sympathy from here! I actually bought a beautiful hand-crocheted baby blanket last week at the thrift store, because I couldn't stand to see it hanging with a $3 tag (it was half price day). Now we call it "our future children's first blanket" and it's very loved. :)

Danni said...

Hey, just found your blog through some crazy, circuitous route of reading other people's blog comments. Your post made nod in agreement and then laugh out loud. You have a RIGHT to be bothered by all those things! Cracked me up about the polar bear and penguins...you're right, of course, but maybe the penguin was just on holiday visiting his pal, the bear? Still, it does misinform, doesn't it...