Monday, April 14, 2008

Busy Weekend

Aside from sewing dog food bag bags, I did some more(secret) sewing. I'll unveil later this week.




On our way to a nephew birthday party (one hour away) we got an exciting call.





Very exciting!





Our babies were in!




This is the batch of Partridge Rocks. They supposedly make good broodie hens and mamas. None of the older girls have cooperated so far, they are my hope for a more self sustainable future at our little mini farm.



We have to wait 2 weeks for our batch of Dark Cornish. I tried to get them at the same time, from the same hatchery, no luck. I would have had to get all males of the Dark Cornish and I wanted a straight run to keep a handful for future babies for next year.


Since I only wanted 5, I was lucky enough to be able to add these little cuties to my Dads' order. (they wont ship less than 25 in a box) Dad was sweet enough to baby sit until we got back from the party.





They have a beautiful brown mink coat. Fancy. They are very sweet.


(Pay no attention to the hand in severe need of lotion)






Aren't we cute!







On Sunday mornings, my Hubbie always cooks breakfast, a deeelish break for me. No this isn't what he made. But i took the bacon grease and added scratch grains, popped in the freezer, makes a tasty and cheap suet cake for the birds. My frugal tip of the day.

And for the record, we did not have a snow storm yesterday. It was just major dandelion fuzz. Winter is done, winter is done, winter is done. Hey a girl can dream right?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The biddies look so cute. I haven't ever had the Partridge Rocks.
The hand looked fine, with or without lotion.lol...
Winter may be over but we have a frost watch out for here tonight. I sure hope this is the last one for spring.
Oh, the big tractor you asked about is a 1974 Case and the other older one is a Case to but I'm not sure what year. I think 1953.
Good luck with the chicks.

Kathryn and Ari said...

I love spring! All these great photos of flowers and baby animals. It's a great time for blogs like yours--thanks!!

goatgirl said...

Now those are some very cute biddies. I love the beautiful brown color. And what would we do without our faithful chick watching dogs?

Danni said...

They are so pretty!! I, too, have never heard of Partridge Rocks....how unusual! And look at that intent, but smiling, look on T-Bone's face. He just knows he'll soon get to herd these little girls, too!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The chicks are adorable! I can't wait to keep up with your blog to see them grow up. I've never seen any 'up close and real', if ya know what I mean! hehe

Last month I made some of the homemade suet, but I didn't freeze it first.
We had a couple days of warmer weather after I hung it up for the birds, sand the stufl melted away, or rather oozed away.
Do you think freezing would have helped?

Hope your winter is truly over!
I'm starting to wonder if it iver will be here...sigh

Anonymous said...

So cute! But being a vegetarian I'd try to convince you to keep them as pets. ;-)

sugarcreekstuff said...

ga.farmgirl-They were in the Murry McMurry hatchery catalog, I've never seen a photo so I'm not sure how they look, I just want broody hens.
kathryn and ari-I love the blogs that have lots of photos too. My picture skills arent the best but it's so kind of you to say that.
goatgirl-thanks, I hope they become beautiful hens, of course I haven't seen an ugo one yet.
farmgirl-T-Bone gets that spazzo look in his eyes, kind of how he gets when we give him table scraps or hunts down a mouse. We just let him keep sniffing them and he gets bored after awhile.
twinville-I just freeze the suet to make it easier to handle, I store it in old bread bags and only give it in cold temps so it wont melt, and the birds only need the extra fat in winter to keep warm.
nasty wench- thanks for visiting. And these girls will be pets that earn their keep, so no eating. I cant say my next batch that's comming will be that lucky. I hope you'll like me anyway.