....our latest batch of chicks. Dark Cornish.
After hatching, traveling, getting a beak of water they felt the need to nap. Some even rolled over and slept on their backs. I had never seen that type of behavior before and was a tad worried, but nope, they were all fine.
(Hubbie hands, I didn't want you to think I had man hands)
A nice catch an release afternoon.
My hubbie works with a man who has a farm. We ordered half a hog, about 150 lbs.
It was ready, so we went for a drive to Chelsea and picked it up.
http://www.backfortyacres.com/
I like supporting a local farmer, also knowing where our food
comes from is becoming more and more important to me.
We got 10 packs of chops, 2 huge hams, 1 pack of ribs, 12 packs bacon , 30 packs of sausage.
We also got a heart, 3 livers and 1 hock, which I have never cooked any of these before so I am going to have to find some new recipes to try.
I am going to make a food calendar too and make sure i spread this out to last us a year.
My husband usually gets one deer in the fall for our red meat (with luck). Most of the new chicks are going to eventually find a place in the freezer as well. I also plan on plotting out how much veggies, sauce and jam I need to can for the year.
Rascal says,"I'm the only vegetarian in the house."
"Vegetarians Unite!"

7 comments:
Holy cow (or should I say holy pig? holy fish? holy chick?). Either way, what an amazingly prolific, protein-laden weekend you had. You must be exhausted!
I would *never* think you had man-hands! :-)
Your new chicks are adorable!
Busy, and productive, I love it! Congrats on the chicks. I hope they do as well for you as they did for us. We have a urkey poult that loves to sleep flat on his back withhis legs in the air!! Very disturbing!! :)
I also like knowing where my food comes from. I like the way you are planning out for the year. I try and do that also. I hope to can and freeze a lot of veggie this year.
love the new chicks. I don't know what the exotic one is. It look a little like a dominique.
The girl made some good fish catches there.
I am glad you don't have man hands.lol..
Enjoyed the visit!
Wow! You have your hands in so many different 'pots'...and soon enough they will literally be in those pots cooking up all those healthy protein sources.
You are such a terrific planner and seem so busy with all of your projects. Do you ever find any quiet time just for you to relax?
Whew!
Oh! Thanks for posting all the wonderful pics. There is nothing cuter than piggy lips! Wheek...wheek!!
I remember when my very first batch of chicks took full blown naps---scared me to death.
I wish your meat supplier shipped the meat. I can't seem to locate anyone locally--especially for goat.
Piggies---we babysit a teacher friend's class guinea pig every summer. Her dog spends the entire day trying to get into the room the pig is in. He's just happier at our house for the summer and none of our pets bug him. He's a dolly and so sweet! Much happy squeaking.
Kathryn and Ari- Yea, I didn't plan it that way but protein was the theme wasn't it.
Farmgirl- Chapped and scabby but NEVER manly.
I don't want to get attatched to the new chicks.
Farm mom- I'm hoping for more roosters in this batch, bigger for meat and less chance of me liking them.
ga.farmgirl- the pig was pricey (all that meat at once) so I'm hoping to spread the cost over the years food budget.
I am curious to find out what that chick is and hopefully its a pullet.
My girl and I love to fish and are lucky we don't have to go far to get our fix in.
Man hands might be handy, mine are so small with skinny wrists, I call them my achilles heel.
Twinwille- My hubbie and I are both happiest when it has been a productive day and got a lot done. Vacations for us are usually spent working on a project. We do relax in the evenings, does that count?
That photo was another one that the girl took.
Ceecee- I had never had chicks sleep like that before. They are now all sleeping "normal".
We are lucky to have meat processors near buy, lots of local farmers and hunters.
Guinea Pigs do make great pets.
Post a Comment