A raccoon family found a way into my little coop fortress (It was safe for 3 years). Bandit is gone and all the baby chicks too. Not just hers but Brattys also. Bratty is wandering around lost without her little brood. I feel sickened and sad.
I got some traps from my Dad and plan to stop them DEAD in their tracks tonight.
Farm life can harden your heart.

10 comments:
Oh.....dang Michelle! I am so sorry! I wish there was something I could do for you girl! :( So sorry about your little ones. Hope you catch your coons. xoxo
I ran across your blog from On The Way To Critter Farm. I am so sorry for what happened. We had this happen a few years back. We knew the raccoons were hanging around but we also had a weasel problem. It turned out the weasels were the evil ones who managed to get in the closed up hen house and kill everything they could. We solved the problem by putting a radio in the henhouse and tuning it to talk radio. We have never had a problem since...even the pesky raccoons which we see in our fields and such stay away. They apparently think a human is in there and won't try to get in.
Oh no. no no no...I'm so sorry. It must have been so horrible to realize what had happened. If only I lived closer - I would come right over to help...no chicken loving girl should have to clean up what you probably had to clean up without a pal by your side. Ugh. I feel sick. Sending you hugs.
I am so sorry. How sad for the poor Bereft MaMa and for you too!
:(
Goodness, I'm so sorry! It must be so sad to see Bratty wandering around, calling for her chicks.
Good luck getting the coons! ((hugs))
Oh no. That is just awful. I am so sorry. Sending hugs your way.
I am just weeping. I loved Bandit. She was SO beautiful.
And I adore sweet devoted Mama Bratty. As a Mom, my heart is broken for her. Poor sweet chicken girl. And all these precious babies. What a terrible loss.
Like I said in my previous comment to your "In a funk" post, this is the part that I truly dislike about blogging.
It pains me not being able to do anything to help my online friends I've become so fond of.
If I could be there, sweetie, you and I, we'd go on a coon hunt. After we were done, there'd not be any chicken-killing coons anywhere within 5 miles of your place.
Please know you are in my thoughts tonight.
Thanks for all your thoughts. You ladies are wonderful.
Egghead, what a great idea and thanks for visiting my blog.
Last night I put out the traps, at 11pm there were already 2 coons caught and another wandering around. I am setting them again tonight.
I'm glad you were able to catch them! Hopefully, you killed them while still in the traps. Too dangerous otherwise.
Glad that you managed to catch the buggers. Damn them coons.
Post a Comment