Friday, October 10, 2008

Show off Friday #5


How many Fridays has it been since I sewed anything? I do have a good excuse.




My Dad told me a couple of months back that he wanted to help me build a proper coop if I gave him some eggs when he needed them. A real builder helping me build a coop, sounds good to me!


He also wanted to clean out some of the scraps in his barn. Umm, free materials, sounds even better!




Tuesday



It started off with a pencil sketch on the floor of his barn.






10' X 12' Coop, what will the chickens do with all that space?





My uncle replaced his deck this summer, free flooring for me.





Me likey the nail gun.






We took a lunch break and Dad showed me what he's been working on.




A farmer gave him an old plastic water tank.
He painted it and added a door and windows.



Added legs.



Tossed in a swivel chair, and you have a high and dry deer hunting blind.





15 feet high.



My dad comes up with clever scrounging ideas.




Lunch breaks over back to work.





Our first wall.






Quitting time.

A good days work.







Wednesday



It was raining, good thing we were working in my dads barn.





I needed to make a plywood run. I sleep with a guy who gives me his employee discount. Thirteen sheets for under $70, not bad.






Peek-a-boo!




I like how the sawdust showed up in the picture.







Four walls done.











Thursday




Roof joists are a pain to hammer on, but critical for support.


For Moving!




.

Time to go to my yard.





My dad makes moving a giant box look easy.





Down the driveway.





Past my sisters house.





Over the ridiculously huge bridge on our little country road.







To my driveway.





T-Bone greets me and says "What the hell is THAT?"






"I'd better check it out."








Hammy doesn't know what to think, but he does know its quitting time.



Friday

We set it in place, got it level, and started the rafters.

Then the decking.





It looks nice inside...










... and out.

We gave Hammy something to crow about!


Little Mama is so EGGcited she had to lay in a pot!

(Someone is staring at her)



I get to finish nailing the decking down and put the shingles on over the weekend.
My wrist is about to fall off from all the hammer swinging, I have bilsters on my blisters, but couldn't be happier.
I love my dad.

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Danni said...

There is just SO much that is wonderful about this post...Your dad is #1! What an amazing last few days you've had.
And your dad comes up with clever scrounging ideas, huh? Hmmm...this reminds me of somebody...who...who...who?? Love the water tank secret fort!
The pictures of moving your new coop to your house are hilarious and wonderful. How fun that you all live so close to each other and that your dad can tow ginormous things to your house with his freakin' cool tractor!
Congrats on a job well done! Since you made me a long lost family member a while ago (we KNOW why), will your daddy adopt me please? :-)

frugalmom said...

OMG....you did say they were getting a Hilton! And how cool to get to work with your dad on the coop. And how even cooler to just hook it to a tractor and drive it on down to your house....okay and how even cooler than cool that it was almost all repurposed stuff....(except , of course, the stuff you had to sleep with a guy for)

Oh yeah....and who doesnt like to use a nail gun. LOVE it.

Congrats on the new coop. That was some kinda work you have been doing the last few days.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Aha! I was right...well sort of. Those were building plans after all. For a way awesome chicken house no less.
Woot! Woot!

I at first thought that maybe Daddy was going to be remodeling his 15 foot high/water tank deer blind structure for your chickens.

Is that the coolest structure ever?
My boys would live in that if they could. But after the huge gaping wound in Jem's chest from falling out of our tree, I think I'll keep him grounded. hah!

Your Dad is the greatest. And so clever, talented, and brilliant.
It seems that the apple really doesn't fall too far from the tree.
:)

I'm excited to see the final photos.

Don't you think it's funny that your rooster sculpture looks so much like Hammy?

Congrats to you and your chickens on their new Taj Majhal of chicken houses.

(Forget the chickens. When can I move in?)

:)
~Lisa

Gone2theDawgs said...

I followed you over from a comment on Danni's blog (I loved your rap song by the way!):) That is one AWESOME chicken....coop..did you say? It's at the very least a chicken suite! Though maybe it is more of a Hen Hilton as frugalmom said. I CAN'T let my chickens see your post or I'm in trouble!
You're so lucky to have such a wonderful Dad!

Country Girl said...

Nice, what a great dad! Love his hunting stand, can't wait to show my hubby the pics of it.

Kathryn and Ari said...

Wow. Every human needs a dad like that, and every chicken needs a grandhuman like that (sorry, more anthropomorphism: you're never going to be able to eat another one if I keep this up!). Seriously, though, to thumbs up to your dad. And what a great deer stand, too: talk about the Ritz!

Anonymous said...

Aw, makes me miss my Dad! :(

Carla said...

That is amazing!! Lucky, lucky chickens and a lucky, lucky daughter. WTG Dad!!

I love the idea of a water tank turned deer blind. I'll bet he could see them for a pretty penny.

Hey, Danni! I get adopted, not you!! You already have an amazing chicken coop. :)

sugarcreekstuff said...

Farmgirl, I am a lucky gal. He is great at scrounging, I'm glad some rubbed off on me.
I mostly grew up on the other side of the country from him, we spent summers and Christmas together, so it is wonderful to have him just down the road.
Dad will adopt you for sure, your sence of humor fits right in.

Frugalmom, this coop is turning out so nice, I may keep it as my own little playhouse. ;-)
My dad has so much big job equipment, hauling a coop down the road is no problem.
Between my Dads scrounging and the guy I sleep withs discounts, I'll have a fancy coop with little money spent.

Laughing orca, smarty pants!
My dad wanted a warm dry place to hunt from, he said the cold is no longer fun, I told him I want to camp out up there.

How is Jem doing? That was awful.

I'll post new pics soon, like next.

Hammys twin is keeping an eye on the hens laying in the pot.

I'm thinking to heck with the chickens, we can have a girls bunkhouse there.

Wrensong farm, so glad you stopped over. If you saw my last post, you can see that my chickens have not been living in the best conditions. If not for my dad, they'd be spending another Michigan winter in that horrid box!

Country girl, I'm glad you liked the deer blind. It is fun spending time up there, listening to the birds and the rustling of the leaves. I plan on taking a book up there, in my spare time. ;-)

Kathryn and Ari, I am a lucky girl and I have lucky chickens. I cant wait to finish and show you guys!

Mo, I'm sending love your way.

Andy Gou, thanks for thinking my blog is sparkling. You made my day!

Ceecee, I'm so lucky! I'm loving the coop.
It is a cool deer blind. He would have to find a surplus of old water tanks and camo paint. ;-)
Danni does have a beautiful coop, but you have that beautiful iron fencing. So fancy! Don't worry, there's always room for more family members.