Saturday, February 9, 2008

Lucky

I have lost beloved pets before and losing a chicken isn't the same, but it still hurts.
I don't know what happened, last night I tucked the girls in (thats what I call it), head count, secured the back door, Plucky was next to her best pal on the perch, wasn't ill or anything.
This morning I found her on the floor wedged behind a feeder. I'm assuming she fell off the perch, panicked in the dark and her little heart gave out.
She was in our first batch of chicks four years ago. Our first green egg layer.
It was hard to tell my daughter who picked her out and named her.
I took her inside and cared for her last winter when she had an impacted crop and we bonded.

Lucky liked to come up on the deck and visit.

She was curious but dignified. She wouldn't get in the swarm of chickens even for a treat. She would stand out of the melee and wait for me to give her some goodies.

She hated moulting, it was like she was embarassed about having a bad feather day.

I took this photo four days ago.

Oh Lucky, the hen house wont be the same without you.

4 comments:

Sarah Jackson said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is very hard, whether it is feathered or furred. At least she was loved.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh dear, my heart is aching for you. I'm so so very sorry for the sad loss of your sweet Lucky girl.

She was such a beautiful lady.

Hugs to you,

from:
"Laughing Orca Ranch"

Danni said...

Oh, I am so sorry. My heart hurt reading this. The pictures you posted of Lucky, though, made me smile. Hugs to you and your daughter...

Sarah said...

((hugs)) I'm so sorry.

I loved the moulting picture.