Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer is here!

The kids last half day was Tuesday, so what have we been doing so far this summer?
We started our bike riding.
Last summer I got a crazy idea to ride our bikes on a 5+ mile route on our country dirt roads with many hills, a minimum of 3 times per week (not if away on vacation). This way we would all benefit from the exercise.
Last summer we logged in over 130 miles. The kids and I were proud and we are starting again.
Wednesday we put in 5.2 miles. Today we were about 2 miles out and heard the thunder rolling our way so we turned around and only got in 4.
I am going to keep a tally of our miles and hopefully we'll beat last years total.









We have pea pods! I love the snow peas fresh in the garden, in salads, stir fry or with dip.

We've also been eating salad for lunch and dinner.
I dream of this during the winter.


We've fed the fish.
Somebody rolled in something gross so the girl gave him a bath.
Doesn't he look pathetic?
Speaking of the girl, she has 2 cat sitting jobs already lined up for the summer from two different neighbors. She just got back from visiting one cat and took in their mail. She can't stop smiling about it.

We are trying not to freak out Shoebird although she is right by the door.
You can see part of her head and beak in this photo if you look close.
Speaking of birds....
The Partridge Rocks are almost 9 weeks and the Dark Cornish are almost 7 weeks.

I am trying not to get attached to the Dark Cornish due to the fact that I'll only be keeping a few and the rest are going in the freezer. I figure I have a month or 2 to decide which ones we'll eat. I can't tell the difference from the boys and girls yet.






This is our free exotic, "Hamburg". Short for Silver Spangled Hamburg, there is our genius naming skills again. Not sure on that ones gender either. It's kind of nervous and runs super fast. I love its black and white coloring, we will probably keep this one even if it's a roo.






Hubbie sold his 16mpg Blazer and got a 32mpg Honda Accord.
It's in great shape for being 22 years old. Of course most of us were in great shape at 22.
I filled my Monster Truck tank Tuesday for a whopping $150.00, yikes! I have a large tank and the plus is, I was still driving on $3.53 gas I got back in March. I'm hoping to make this last most of the summer. I do way less driving in the summer.
I have been busy and suffering from sewing burnout and only got 3 bags made this week.
The plus is my house is very clean, laundry is caught up and the kids and I have been having a blast!





5 comments:

frugalmom said...

Sounds like summer is full of fun already! The bike riding is a great idea. We also just sold a car and got one that gets better gas mileage. It seems to be fitting the bill just perfectly.

Carla said...

Hooray for your bike riding! If it weren't so blasted hot here, I might get away with dragging the kids on bike rides like yours.
Your house is clean and your kids are on summer vacation--I hate you! Just kidding!! It takes me several days to just give up on having any clean surfaces in my house once vacation begins. Their stuff is everywhere.
Just tell your Cornish chicks that they'll be getting to go to a really fun new place for chickens---Freezer Camp or Crock Pot camp. They fall for it every time. :)

magnusmog said...

I love shoebird, hope all goes well with the nesting:)

sugarcreekstuff said...

Hi frugalmom, Thanks, the nice thing is that the kids like doing it and it gets my winter sewing butt in sort of summer shape.
Two gas guzzelers in the fam was too much. The nice thing is when I am doing errands, we can switch vehicles.

Hey ceecee, We are pretty lucky with our Michigan summers, it does get hot but we ride early in the morning. The toughest thing is getting my teenager up before the heat.
Don't worry the clean house wont last long. We made an extra effort on the house for Hubbies Fathers Day.
I do like the Freezer Camp or Crock Pot Camp suggestion. Too funny.

Hey there Magnusmog, so far so good with Shoebird but we don't have a bird catcher like Magnus around here.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wonder what that pitiful dog of yours got into. Ewww! haha

Funny name, Hamburg. Almost sounds like Hamburger! hehe
Betcha it'll be hard to choose which chickens to eat. They are pretty birds.

I am very very impressed with your energetic and lofty bike riding goals. Wow! Especially with kids!

Before I had kids I used to participate in bike tours. I'd bike anywhere between 5-25 miles a day.
My favorite tours were the Wine Tasting Tours! hehe

I think it's great that you're biki riding to get in shape. What a great lesson to teach the kids, too.

Your gardens look so wonderful! I'm envious, in a good way, that you can just walk out there and make a delicious fresh salad with your own greens and pea pods. Yummy!

I'm looking forward to hearing updates on Schubert/Shoe Bird, too!