Hooray! This is Bandit and she is one of my third batch, last years spring chicks, and she is broody! My hope has been to eventually have a mama that wanted to raise babies so I wouldn't have too. Not that I don't like caring for chicks, but I wont need the heat lamp and I really think a chicken can do a much better job. Thank you Bandit.
I plan on getting some fertilized Jersey Giant eggs from my dad and let her be the mama she wants to be.
Even with her being broody, the other girls have been giving plenty of eggs.
Bandit is on top. Notice the pissed off attitude.
I may need more nest boxes.
Our Lilly pads have blooms.
Here's a dog tip that I'm including for free.
If you have had a dog rawhide sitting around a couple years that the dog hasn't ever been interested in, just have a chicken show up on your back deck and have the chicken look like it might be something they want, and all of a sudden your dog will think that rawhide is the greatest thing ever and get a gleam in his eye and wolf that rawhide down.
Goofy pup.

3 comments:
Congrats on your beautiful broody hen. I hope so much it works out better for you than it has for us.
Our broody hen just one day decided not to be broody anymore and then eggs started disappearing.
We started off with one dozen and now we only have one.
Several of the hens have been filling in as 'surrogates', but I doubt it's enough to get that tiny egg hatched. It will be a miracle if it does.
Keep us updated on your broody hen's process, ok? Good luck!
That's so cool your hen is broody - I hope it works out for you. Too bad about that pissed off attitude :-). She's really pretty.
I can totally see that gleam in T Bone's eye. Hilarious!
Ari's the exact same way with the cats: she doesn't care about anything until they do.
Congrats on the broody hen: she looks like quite a magna mater!
Post a Comment