Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What ever happened...


...to that mellow summer I thought I'd have this year. Not that I'm complaining, I like being busy.


Over the weekend we were invited to a fishing party, I caught the biggest fish but the other competition were kids and men, they didn't stand a chance. I hooked this one bass, it stole my rubber worm (my fav of lures) the line was a bit brittle, so I caught this other bass with a new rubber worm and guess what was inside, my original rubber worm. So I actually caught the biggest twice! Hubbie knows my fishing addiction and brought a plate of food to me because he knew I wasn't coming in, not when fishing is involved. I love that man.



Then Sunday was my hubbies family reunion. It was nice seeing everyone, the kids saw cousins and swam, I ate half a plate of lemon bars. Delish.

We drove my "new" neon and on the way home it was overheating, the fan went out, so we drove the last 45 mins with the heat blaring and the windows down. We have frequent adventures like that.





My next show is this Friday & Saturday, Saline Summerfest. I loved being in this show last year and am looking forward to seeing the other artists and the gals who run the event couldn't be nicer.
I sold most of my skull bags at the last show so today I worked on some new ones.



It is fun playing dress up with skull heads.






I finished this one.

It's ok with me if they aren't your kind of thing. It is usually teens that buy them.


I have been spending about 2 hours every other day picking veggies out of the garden. I have been canning dilly beans. I love them. We have also been enjoying fresh pickles every day.




Fresh pickle recipe



3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon mustard seed

1/8 teaspoon celery seed

1/4 teaspoon turmeric


heat in a pot

add 6 or so cukes sliced thin
I use my salad shooter

onions are optional

stir and chill

The girl and I eat them as a snack.



We are heading to Dexter in the morning for blueberry picking. Grandfolks, Sister and her kids, me and mine. I hope to get all we need in this one trip.
I guess it has been fun busy.

6 comments:

frugalmom said...

Fun busy is so much better than un-fun busy. You caught the same fish twice? Thats too funny. He just couldnt get enough, huh?

I hope you have a good time at your show this weekend.

Danni said...

I'm going to try your pickle recipe just as soon as my cukes become bigger than my pinkies! :-)
The skull bags are cool - love the one with roller skates/blades :-).

sugarcreekstuff said...

frugalmom-I'm so glad I got my rubber worm back, and it was a catch and release kind of day.
Thanks for the show love.

framgirl- I forgot to add that I was using pickling cukes, if you use the big ones, 6 would be too many.
An older lady actually bought one of my skull bags at the last show. Pretty cool.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey! You caught the one that got away! Congrats!

I love your skull bags and so does my dear friend that I bought one of yours from to give her for Mother's day!
She told me it just 'tickles her' to use it. And she's over 40 like me. It's hip to be cool, baby! hehe

Nothing has grown here this summer due to our freaky weather. But we've recently been drowning in daily rain and humid warm temps during the day, so I'm thinking of trying to grow some cukes for Fall.

Our temps still drop down to the low 60's, high 50's at night, though.

Do you think cukes will do ok this time of crazy in my crazy climate?

I want to make some homemade pickles using your recipe!!! wahhh!

Anonymous said...

My dream is to grow enough veggies to have to spend two hours a day picking them! :)

sugarcreekstuff said...

Twinville, you make me feel so ggod about my bags. Thanks my friend.
Warm and humid are the right kind of temps that cukes love. Maybe since you have the wind issues, try planting in a sheltered space, next to the house or barn, there have to be some good books or neighbors that garden in your climate that can give you tips. I Michigan we just toss out a seed and watch it do the rest, I'm not a garden expert at all.
We do love our pickles!

Mo, most of the time is spent in the green beans. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love eating fresh steamed beans, I can eat them everyday, but hate the hour plus I spend picking them. I do love being outside so there are worse things I could be doing.