Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What's a girl to do?

I've got a new coop, the chickens love to free range but winter is coming, they need a chicken run.



The pluses, nice door and ramp. The minuses, the window opens out so I can't block it, I have no cash to spare, and hubby is up north hunting so I'm on my own.




More pluses, I have a shovel, post hole digger and the ground isn't frozen yet.



I've got an old swing set frame. Who doesn't?
I had to bury the legs a couple feet down as to not block the window.

I can add this old chain link fencing I have lying around, another plus.
(this stuff is so heavy, my back took awhile to recover)




Ugly green tarp to seal it up against winter blizzards.
(that's in the plus and minus column)


Works for me.



I'm hoping this run is temporary, and in the spring I'll have some cash and help to build a proper run. But for now, the chickens have a snow free zone for scratching and exercise. They even have the space under the coop too!


*

Thanksgiving's tomorrow so I figure I'll be busy then so I'll post some things I'm thankful for today.


I'm thankful for my built in can and make do spirit and a strong body to get the job done, even though my inner lazy person is telling me to go inside and rest.

I'm thankful for scrounged stuff.

I'm thankful for my little farm with my chickens, it's just enough to keep the farm girl side of me happy.

I'm thankful for my family of four.

I am thankful we have a holiday that focuses on a feast, I love to eat.

I'm thankful for bloggers who I learn from and laugh with.

*

Happy Thanksgiving.

15 comments:

frugalmom said...

Now that is a totally innovative chicken run. I love it. So cool. Man, you have the best ideas. Can I get in your head for just one minute and borrow some of them. Really.

Mim said...

Too cool. I'm pretty sure I never would have looked at that swing set frame and thought chicken run. You're Awesome!

Danni said...

[Don't do it - don't let her in your head!! Once she's in, you'll never get her out. Trust me on this.]
LOVE the chicken run - doesn't surprise me at all that you figured out a way - all by yourself - to pull this job together. I couldn't see from the pics, though, how did you seal off around the underside of the coop, so the chickens still have access to it but can't get out?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Michelle,

I'd like to say you truly surprise me, but I can't. I think I just expect you to come up with brillantly clever ideas now. And this time you did not disappoint either. Kudos to you for your can-do spirit and ability to make-do with scrounged material. You done good :)

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, too.
Hope it's filled with good food, wonderful friends and family, and many happy memories to be made :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

sugarcreekstuff said...

Thanks ladies.
Farmgirl, I sealed the bottom off with a combination of plastic lattice (found on the curb:-) and some chicken wire I had. It isn't totally predator proof, they get sealed in at night so I shouldn't have any problems.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I am thankful for, among other things, your blog! :)

Kathryn and Ari said...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: you are absolutely brilliant. The chickens must adore you.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

"I'm thankful for bloggers who I learn from and laugh with."

Me too, my friend! I love your innovative mind and can do attitude. Although I have to say, I miss having a fellow shabby-shack chicken rancher. Now yours is so posh it rivals danni's and a covered winter run for the birds?!? It's a good thing my snowy-toed birds cannot read.

Carla said...

So cool!! Way to recycle stuff. Your hens will be thrilled to have a snow free space to scratch around.
Happy (late) Thanksgiving to you.

Amy said...

Good job on using materials on hand to make a run for your chickens! I'm a big fan of zero-cost projects.

Carla said...

You know Michelle, your chicken run now puts you back in the Beverly Hillbilly Chicken Coop/Run club.

The last time one of my hens went broody, I decided to house her in my chicken run instead of the garage. It was a mishmosh of dog crate, chicken wire, fence posts, and two tarps. It kept her warm and safe and dry, but boy was it UGLY!

Country Girl said...

What a great idea! I have one of those old swing sets too. I'm impressed you pulled that off on your own. I am a lot like you in that way. If I want it done I'll find a way to do it myself if need be.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Michelle,

Would you mind contacting me when you get a few minutes? I've got a bunch of cute chicken feed bags that I'd love for you to make into feed bag bags. Of course, I've got some extra feed bags for you to keep or sell, whatever you'd like to do with them.
Let me know if this is something you can do. There's no hurry, either. After the busy holidays is just fine :)

Thanks so much!
Twinville2@yahoo.com

Erica said...

How innovative! I bet it will stay kind of warm in their also. What well cared for chickens!

GreyWolf said...

I am so jealous of your chicken run idea. Sure wish I had thought of that before the snow started. I too am a fan of low/no cost ideas.

And Lisa's idea of "feed bags" just cracks me up, but what a great idea. Insulate them for people to carry their water and snacks in.