Thursday, August 28, 2008

New School

Both kids are moving up to new schools this year, the girl in Middle School, the Boy High School.
The only reason I am not sitting in a darkened room rocking in the fetal position is, they are so much fun at these ages. I truly enjoy spending time with them.
The girl is pet sitting this week so I dropped her off and the boy and I went to his new school.
The school is quite large and can be a bit intimidating so we wanted to find his locker and classrooms ahead of time.
No this isn't the mall.
It fits!
While we were in town, we ran into the grocery store to get a few things.
I told him I'd give him a buck if he pushed the little cart all the way through.
Like his mother, he'll do just about anything for cash.
We laughed so hard it was the best $1 I ever spent.
On the way out of the store is a picture of my moms class when she went to the one room schoolhouse in town.




There she is right in the middle.
We always say hi to Grandma on the way out.






We got home and a bit later the mail lady came up the drive with a package for me!





I had ordered a bundle of fat quarters from Anna Maria Horner.






I love her bright sunny fabrics.
The kids start school on the 2nd, I start jury duty that same day (lets hope for a short one), then I am starting my work schedule back up. I can't wait to cut into these beauties!

10 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looks like the one room schoolhouse was an early attempt towards the Montessori concept with all the different ages working together in one classroom.

I love that you've got a picture of that. Such interesting history.

Such bright fun fabrics. I'm excited to see what you do with them.

Oh, and I love how much fun you have with your kids. The grocery cart was such a great idea. I was just thinking that one of my sons is such a character that he'd push that tiny cart around for free.
He's so goofy :)

besomom said...

I will be in your situation in exactly 3 years, with my son starting high school and my daughter starting middle school. Hopefully jury duty will not also be part of my experience!

Love the grocery cart story. What a hoot.

Danni said...

That is so cool that a picture of your mom when she was, what, 7 (?) is hanging in your local store.
High school...such a rite of passage. FYI, though, next year you absolutely can't escort him to school, ok? I've been told that this will really start the year out wrong for boys if momma is still accompanying them by Sophomore year. :-)

sugarcreekstuff said...

Twinville, country kids traveled to the nearest school in the area, there were a couple of them in this town.
My boy was actually bummed he didn't see anyone he knew. He is a fun lovin kid.

Besomom, There is so much for you to look forward to!
This is my third Jury Duty in 3 1/2 years. Fun Fun!

Farmgirl, The date on the pic said 1954 so she was 11. When the store changed ownership we thought they'd take it down, luckily they didn't.
There is no way I'd take him next year, for one he'll have a year of this school under his belt and for 2, yikes! We actually went while the school was deserted, most of the lights were off, there were a handful of other freshmen and moms doing the same thing because we missed the walk through the other eve.
I try to be cool and understand what it was like with my mom at that age, she's still embarassing!

Carla said...

My oldest is a Jr. this year, and middle is an 8th grader. It's such a transition when the kids go to "big school". What really blows my mind is that Middle is going to be in HS next year!
Good luck on a great new year. You're right, they are so much fun at these ages.

Live Laugh Love said...

My boy is a 5th grader and my girl is a 2nd grader. Every time I think about my boy going into middle school next year, I have an anxiety attack. Wow high school, I can’t imagine, yet.

I love the fabric. Do you have any ideas what you are going to do with it?

Anonymous said...

My eldest starts kindergarten next year and I am so in denial. You are right though, they get more and more fun as they get older don't they? I always think "this is the best age", and then they get even better.

frugalmom said...

How cool is that to see a pic of your mom in the store?

That school looks pretty big.

I cant wait to see what you make with the new fabrics!

Kathryn and Ari said...

Can you believe it's time for school already? A friend of ours swore she was one of those moms who couldn't wait for the school bus to arrive on the first day. But after it collected her 6-year-old kindergartner, she cried like a baby for the rest of the day! Here's to a great school year for everyone, and a very speedy end to the trial!

sugarcreekstuff said...

Ceecee, wow you are years ahead of us, 2 years that is. I am hoping high school is a good experience for my boy.

Hi boondoxgirl! Back when mine were itsy bitsy, I could never imagine it either. It creeps up on you and you say "when did that happen?"
I'm thinking of making some pillow covers and definately bags too.

Hi Mo, kindergarden was a huge deal, especially with the first.
I have always felt this was always the best age. New adventures, less lectures.

frugalmom, we like seeing grandma every time we go, its fun.

I've heard our school is one of the biggest in the country. It feels more like a community college.

I'm hoping to get some sewing in sometime this week, so many fruits and veggies calling to me to can, not to mention laundry, housework, school papers, soccer practice, poultry, blogging, bathing, bills to pay, ticklefights with my man...

Kathryn and Ari, going back to school is a big change, I get so used to them here all day, then 8 hours gone. I definatley get more computer time now.