Saturday, September 15, 2007

??????




Since I am a new blogger and not a professional writer I don't know if it is ok for me to just blah blah on and not have a theme. I am going to do it anyway.

Soccer games again today. Both my kids teams lost but not due to lack of effort. I love soccer.




Also I love this blog thing. I have had talented women, some from England, leave me sweet comments. This esty and blog thing is amazing, you get to see so much creativity and talent and smarts and kindness while sitting in my den. It gives me such hope for our world.



I have been wanting to talk about this show I have coming up. I have to give a little history first.



A couple of years ago I had just turned 39, my kids were getting older and hit the grades where they didn't need parent volunteers at the school so much. I was room parent, helped kids read, field trips, coordinated parties, taught junior achievement and much more for yeeaarrs.


So I was kind of floundering and feeling useless and needed my own thing. I got my courage up, and called this Gallery in town and brought in some of my stuff. The gallery owner, Doreen was so kind, took some bags and for a year I sold things till she closed her shop. I had been to craft shows during that time and had spotty success. She invited me to be in a outdoor craft show this summer and had a blast, met talented people and hit my $$ goals. My kids were an amazing help and even helped other crafters with their tents.


Well she is also in charge of a fall ART SHOW and invited me to participate. Holy cow these other people are ARTISTS! I almost wet myself. So I told my best friend since the 8th grade who happens to be an amazing watercolor artist about it and told Doreen about her and SHE IS GOING TO BE IN THE SHOW TOO! I think I just wet myself.



It's in two weeks and I am trying to get more bags and art quilts ready. As well as trying not to freak out. My dilemma is, I read somewhere that new quilt artists should charge $50-$75 per square foot. So that's what I am doing, but when my sister saw my prices she said " Are you pricing these not to sell?" Yes she can be a GIANT B sometimes but love her anyway. So now I am worried, am I charging too much? I want to be paid for my time but I don't want to give my stuff away either.

This one is 12" - 13" is pieced, appliqued, the background is hand dyed and has some bead work in it so I thought $75 sounded fair.


Since you ladies are so smart, I figured the whole 3 of you who might be reading this could help me out. I thank you in advance for any help at all.

3 comments:

Sarah Jackson said...

I think your pricing sounds very fair. It's beautiful work and you shouldn't sell yourself short.

Nicole said...

Hello there from my blog to yours! :o)
Thanks for your cheery comments about the cake! :o)

I think your work is beautiful!!! Amazing work! I think the price is very fair! I hope it goes well for you!
~Nicole

farmerjulie said...

love your quilts. my aunt in Montana is a quilt artist.
yours are lovely. i added you on esty as well. we have So much in commen. take care!