Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My studio (sort of)




I love when artists and crafters have these studios that are works of art in themselves. The paint color is dreamy, the lighting perfect, the supplies on the shelves are neatly stacked and the counter tops are gleaming. I don't have that.



Our home isn't huge, isn't tiny either, I feel it is just right for our family of four. But when you have children, they have a lot of stuff. It's really cool stuff too. Barbies and games and legos and tons of fun things they didn't make in the olden days when I was a child. So basically until they move out (maybe I'll let them when they're 30), their dad and I will have some space in the house that is just ours. Until then we have to happily make do.


I have a space I carved out of the back recesses of the basement that I lovingly refer to as my hovel. My old dictionary defines hovel as a small wretched dwelling. That pretty much sums it up. Last spring I got tired of having my fabric and supplies scattered about. So I got a wild hair and claimed a space. I shelved the junk to the other side of the storage space, hung peg boards, put a big carpet remnant down, strung twinkle lights and went to work filling it up. There are no cozy guest seats for visitors, only a tiny window I sometimes catch my girls looking down at me through, and it is usually quite messy, I have the rest of the house to clean so my space should be messy.





When you are an artist you can create just about anywhere. You have to, you can't help it. So it is nice to have a space of your own no matter how big or small, beautiful or not. Some day I would like to have an artist dream studio. But for now if you ever come down and visit my hovel, only nice comments please. It may never be worthy of a magazine spread, but it's mine.

1 comment:

magnusmog said...

I envy your space - I have Knitting Headquarters in my house but have to share it with whatever person is occupying the spare room at the time. I've got three grown up step kids so that's a lot of sharing :)