Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pants

Since my last big show I had suffered from a little creative/sewing burnout. I have been paying more attention to my poor neglected home. So many big room changing projects that I have been wanting to do for quite some time but with craft shows looming, I put off until now. I'll eventually show photos but not yet.


I did get the itch to sew so I have been mending my sons jeans. He likes the holes but doesn't like the skives showing. I just patched on the underside with a sacrificed pair. They still look mangy but not indecent. I feel clothing and hair are a mild way of self expression and if he wants long hair and scuzzy jeans then who am I to say no. It is actually a great $$ saver.
Speaking of saving $$, someone gave me these jeans that didn't quite fit. I've chubbed it up a bit since becoming a mom and am actually ok with it. So instead of sending these jeans to a good home, I turned them into one of a kinds that only I own.

I took the seam ripper to the outer seam, it took quite a bit of time because there were 3 rows of stitching per side. Good tv time. I cut the waistband. I then measured approximately how much fabric I'd need by holding them up under the crotch and gave a little more because I didn't want them tight. I hemmed some thicker weight fabric at the top then stitched most of the length down. I then hemmed at the right length at the bottom in case the fabric stretched some while sewing (it did) and finished stitching. I ran down the length 2 times to make them stronger. If my serger was working I would have given them a cleaner edge but I figure who is going to see the inside. One tip: make sure you pay attention to the pocket rivet. Please don't judge them by the photo, I had to stand on a chair in the bathroom and shoot it into the mirror.

I LOVE THESE PANTS!

Now I feel the need to raid the back recesses of my closet and fashion a whole new wardrobe.

No comments: