Monday, November 26, 2007

random musings

We woke up to snow. Yay! It actually started snowing on us last night as we were finishing up the before mentioned shed which really cracked me up. The time change makes it dark here by 5:30 not dim light but VERY dark, we had just a little bit to go and couldn't see a thing. Luckily the cordless drill had a light attached but the battery was fading fast, so was the light. So I have this emergency kit in my Monster Truck (no flashlight though). It has an old, half melted candle and matches. The winters in Michigan can be fierce and we sometimes travel the road less traveled and I want to always be able to start a fire. Any who, so I am walking around with this very waxy melty candle so we can barely see to finish this never ending job and we are getting pelted with snow. I found the situation so hysterical, I couldn't stop laughing. My hubbie who had to do most of the job without gloves wasn't as amused. (In spite of that we are deeply in love) I did thaw out my keester in the tub so all is well.

I have been loading stuff on my etsy shop but I don't know shortcuts so it takes FOREVER.
How do people load stuff up so fast? I'll see different stuff from the same artist all in a row on the home page. With loading the photos, shrinking the photos, writing a "witty description", measurements and all it takes at least 10 minutes for me.

Enough about that:

I am very penny pinchy. I like to pinch pennies on everything. Especially food. No matter what you eat or how expensive or cheap it is, it's all going to eventually end up in the same place. Sorry.

We went to my mother in law's for Turkey day and I have 3 sister in laws on that side. They divvy up the food afterward. I never take the leftover turkey but always get dibs on the Turkey carcass. I get the looks every year but just smile and smile at my treasure. They may get a meal or two from their share but I get MORE! There is an amazing amount of meat left on that bird if you don't mind getting a little messy.

Here's what I do: Friday I picked as much meat off as I could. Turned it into Turkey salad sandwhiches and made enough for 2 lunch meals for my family.

Then boil the bajeebus out of that bird till the bones and all come off. Sift through the mess after it has cooled. Saturday my daughter made a batch of soup out of some of the broth and meat. meal 3

I made more soup from the same broth and meat today for lunch and have leftovers for another lunch tomorrow. meal 4

I scoop about a cup of broth and meat and put it into freezer bags and label to use as home made turkey soup starter. (I'm not a canned soup fan) In the middle of winter or cold season just add the bag from the freezer, one cup of water per one chicken bouillon cube in the amount you want. Boil, add noodles and veggies of your choice and you get more soup. I made 3 kits today. meals 5,6,7

I have quite a bit left and it will become turkey and dumplings for dinner tonight. Meal 8
I didn't even mention the scraps that my dog loves. My hardworking pup deserves treats too!
8 meals for one family of 4 that would have otherwise gone into the trash makes me proud that with a little work and messy hands I can provide tasty home cooked meals for my family and have a small food budget. I have been taking the turkey carcass for 20 years now. One Thanksgiving I got Three! Lucky me.
We put our tree up over the weekend. It's a 9 foot tree and we load it. I'm too lazy to get the ladder so the top is sparce. Last year we had company over who have themed trees and made comments on my " Mom tree". I'd never heard that phrase before. I guess thats when you "let" your children help decorate the tree. I didn't know you weren't supposed to.
They were Bitches anyway.
We like the tacky lights and have got them at after holiday sales and garage sales.
We aren't choosy.

We have light up bunnies.





And carrots.



Cinco de mayo lanterns.


Horses.



Now who wouldn't love the Hulk shining brightly over their Christmas?

I am SO in the Holiday Spirit.

I also wanted to give a shout out to my Dad and Stepmom who are celebrating their 31 wedding anniversary today. If there is one couple out there who I would choose to follow their example it would be them. I love you both dearly. Happy Anniversary!

No comments: