Back in the olden days, I used to feel squeemish about estate sales. I felt like a vulture picking through the remains of someone elses life. Now I know better.
Speaking from experience of having held an estate sale for a loved one who died, you want some good to come from their belongings that you just can't keep yourself.
I went to an estate sale recently. Craft books, patterns, sewing supplies were everywhere. I learned from the daughter that this woman was a seamstress. Not just a recreational sewer, but a woman who knew her stuff. She made wedding dresses, Halloween costumes plus an entire professional wardrobe for a woman who was 6' 5" tall. There was soooo much to choose from. Due to the lack of green in my wallet, I had to choose carefully.
The daughter didn't sew, with her mom being there her whole life, she never felt the need to learn. Who could blame her? She felt better knowing that some of her moms treasures were going to someone who would use them.
When I purchase these treasures I not only feel I've got a great deal, I could never have bought all these zippers, trims and buttons at one time at my fave craft stores, but I am honoring the women who had these items before me. The zipper no longer is just a zipper bought at the craft store, but now is a zipper with a story and a history.
I also bought vintage sheets and this suitcase, old but brand new and the most beautiful blue. For $1.
I also got this entire set of dishes. Four dinner plates, 2 larger plates, an 8" bowl, 2 oval plates, 4 bowls, 2 cake plates, 16 fruit bowls, 11 cups with 10 saucers, and a cute little sugar bowl with lid. For the grand total of $3! They are so beautiful.
My daughter informed me she wants these dishes for her first apartment. She also said she now can't wait to move out.

4 comments:
i'm very jealous of the dishes! i remember all these bloggers finding them last summer - that is SUCH a steal!
cute blog - your quilt reminds me a little of kirsty's (twolimeleaves.wordpress.com - if you haven't read her).
You might want to allow anonymous comments - it allows people w/o blogger logins to comment. i doubt you'd get many actual anonymous ones. i have a blogger login, but i've been trying to update it and blogger won't let me! grr.
Thanks for your sweet comment.
I'll have to get wait till my own 13 year old personal web installer gets home from school,I wasn't aware about the anonymous comments. Do they send the mean ones?I'm not very good at this computer stuff, but learning.
I'll check out kirsty's stuff, i love seeing other peoples art.
I have been to kirsty's before because I had her little bird quilt listed as a favorite on my etsy shop. I love her work!
NICE dishes!!!!
Post a Comment